Last Updated: September 29, 2020
This Policy generally applies to the information that ChopLocal processes. However, this Policy is subordinate to any specific terms and conditions set forth in any contract for services or other agreement you may have with ChopLocal relating to a service or data. Further, this Policy applies only to information ChopLocal processes. This Policy does not apply to information collected by ChopLocal’s sellers, buyers, vendors, service providers, or business partners, each of which may have their own privacy policies that apply to you.
1. What information does ChopLocal collect?
ChopLocal generally collects what can be described as Personal Information and Non-Personal Information. We collect this information when you provide it to us and when you purchase our goods or services.
“Personal Information” is information that can be used to identify, locate, or contact you, a natural person, as well as any other information about you that we may connect with Personal Information. For example, Personal Information that we collect includes:
- Contact information such as your name, email address, phone number, physical address, username, and password;
- Relationship information such as your preferences or potential interest in ChopLocal services;
- Transactional information such as purchases, services requested, customer service inquiries, session data, customer account activity, and other customer account information; and
- Financial information such as credit card or banking information.
“Non-Personal Information,” on the other hand, is information that does not identify you as a natural person and is not identifiable to you as a natural person. For example, Non-Personal Information that we collect includes:
- Cookies and other similar tracking technologies processed in a non-identifiable way;
- Information we anonymize by rendering it unidentifiable to a natural person;
- Information we aggregate by combining it with other data in such a way that no natural person can be identified or linked to any specific information; and
- The name, form, contact details, relationship information, transaction history, or financial information of legal persons.
2. Why does ChopLocal collect this information?
ChopLocal collects and processes Personal Information for a variety of purposes depending on the information being processed. ChopLocal processes Personal Information to perform under its contractual obligations to you, providing its services and overseeing the provision of the goods and services you have purchased or sold and processing information as may be necessary to support you in such transactions. ChopLocal also processes Personal Information given its legitimate interest in improving its services, enhancing customer experience, and identifying and marketing goods or services that may be of interest to you. Finally, ChopLocal may process Personal Information as may be necessary to comply with a legal obligation.
To summarize, ChopLocal processes Personal Information for the following purposes:
- To oversee and complete transactions between ChopLocal users;
- To prepare, deliver, maintain, or otherwise provide the ChopLocal services;
- To support ChopLocal services;
- To set up and maintain your customer account and allow you to interact with ChopLocal and users of ChopLocal’s services;
- To provide you with customer service by resolving disputes, addressing complaints, and troubleshooting any technical problems encountered;
- To measure and understand the effectiveness of ChopLocal’s services;
- To comply with applicable laws and regulations; and
- To communicate offers for goods and services, including offers based on your interests and usage of ChopLocal’s services, to administer promotional events, and to engage in other marketing activities that may be of interest to you. Please note that we will provide you the opportunity to opt out of direct marketing communications or market research inquiries, but we will still need to gather certain Personal Information as necessary to provide our goods and services to you.
If we would like to process your Personal Information for any other purpose, we will disclose this to you at the time it is collected and may request your express consent.
With respect to Non-Personal Information, because this information does not identify a natural person ChopLocal may use and process it for any purpose. ChopLocal expressly reserves the right to use anonymized or aggregated information to improve or develop its goods and services, create and publish reports, conduct statistical analyses about customer interest, monitor industry trends, and otherwise engage in activities that do not result in the disclosure of identifiable information.
To be clear, ChopLocal is committed to respecting its customers’ privacy and will only process your Personal Information for the reasons disclosed herein or as requested at the time of collection, and then only in the context of your customer relationship with ChopLocal. ChopLocal will not sell, rent, or lease your Personal Information to others.
3. Will ChopLocal share this information with third parties?
To provide certain services, ChopLocal may have to share information with third parties who use our goods and services or provide goods or services to us, such as our customers, service providers, vendors, or operators of software used in our services.
We will ensure that any third party whom we engage to process your Personal Information on our behalf as the controller of that information will only have access necessary to perform specific, designated tasks on our behalf, will only use the information for this purpose, and will protect your Personal Information to at least the same extent that we do. Please note, however, that this Policy applies only to information that we process and share with others—it does not apply to Personal Information that you share with third parties.
ChopLocal may also share information to comply with our legal obligations, such as responding to lawful requests from government or judicial entities. In the event we are asked to disclose your Personal Information, we will attempt to validate the request and inform you of it prior to disclosure.
Finally, ChopLocal may disclose Personal Information where needed as part of a sale or transfer of our assets, enforce our rights, protect our property, or protect the rights, property, or safety of others, or as is needed to support external auditing, compliance, and governance functions.
If ChopLocal needs to share your Personal Information for a purpose not identified here, we will obtain your consent before doing so and will disclose this purpose at the time of obtaining your consent. For example, ChopLocal may wish to use your information in demonstrations or other marketing materials and, if so, will contact you before doing so.
4. How long will ChopLocal keep my information?
ChopLocal keeps different kinds of information for different lengths of time depending on the purpose for which it is processing the information and depending upon your specific situation. In any event, ChopLocal will retain your Personal Information as long as necessary to accomplish the relevant purpose, but no longer.
5. How does ChopLocal keep my information secure?
Taking into account the nature of the information gathered, ChopLocal maintains administrative, technical, and physical controls that are designed to safeguard Personal Information.
6. What are my choices with respect to my information?
Your first choice is always to limit the information you provide. You may also opt out of certain marketing information by visiting our website and communicating your choices to us, or by clicking “unsubscribe” at the bottom of marketing emails you might receive.
Regarding cookies and other tracking technologies, you can manage these by adjusting the settings on your browser, commonly referred to as the browser’s “Do Not Track” settings. All browsers are different, so you may need to visit the “help” section of your browser to learn more about cookie preferences and other privacy settings that may be available. You can also manage how your mobile device and mobile browser share location information with ChopLocal, as well as how your mobile browser handles cookies and related technologies by adjusting your mobile device privacy and security settings. Please refer to instructions provided by your mobile service provider or the manufacturer of your device to learn more. In general, ChopLocal will comply with your browser’s “Do Not Track” settings.
ChopLocal complies with applicable law regarding your ability to access, correct, and delete your identifiable information. If you have an online account, you may be able to log into your account to access and update certain information provided. For identifiable information that is not linked to an online account, please contact us directly.
ChopLocal does not intend to collect Personal Information from children aged 16 and under. If you believe a child is providing us Personal Information, please contact us directly so we may investigate and delete it.
For assistance with exercising your choices, or if you have any questions about your choices, please contact us.
7. Does this Policy ever change?
ChopLocal may post changes to this Policy on this page. Please refer to the “last updated” date above. We may or may not contact you directly concerning significant changes, and therefore we encourage you to visit this page periodically and check. By using ChopLocal’s services after a change to this Policy, you are deemed to consent to any changes.
8. What if I have questions?
If you have any questions about this Policy or our information security and data privacy practices generally, or if you wish to provide comments or exercise any of your rights with respect to your personal information as identified above, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, 833-246-7525, or P.O. Box 218, Wayland, IA 52654.